Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sketching is good therapy


I haven't had much mojo for painting lately and must admit that new ideas are not really coming to me at the moment.  Yet, I don't want to get rusty.  I decided to keep a sketch book nearby and draw whatever inspired me from the world outside.  I have always been fascinated with monuments and statuary from cemeteries and museums.  Some may find the cemetery aspect a little morbid, but I have always found the artwork and detail involved to be quite extraordinary.  I thought I would take a crack at some quick and detailed sketches of these works of art, and I must say, it has not only helped keep me sharp, it has helped me therapeutically. Some images are a way for me to process feelings I couldn't possibly put into words.  Here are a few pieces in my sketch book. Of course, I did not travel the world to sketch these monuments, but am using images from the Internet, so therefore, they are referenced.



Michelangelo's Pietà quick sketch




Statue by R. Martelli 1947, Certosa di Bologna Italy 

From a sculpture in Frankfurt Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment